Friday, May 2, 2008

Customize your Wardrobe


When I couldn't find a piece of jewelry in my box for a certain shirt that I had, I needed an alternative. I could shop all over to find just the right thing, taking my shirt in tow to make sure it matches and possibly trying on in the dressing rooms? Seems a bit over the top, but certainly feasible if one has the time.

After making some elastic bracelets to begin my foray into jewelry design, I ventured into necklaces for this very reason. I figured I could buy a mix of beads and work some silver into it, which is my preferred metal to wear, and it would match just fine. I remember it very well. It was a plum color. Not cranberry. Not purple. Not wine. Just a deep plum color that didn't match much. Then, I hit the bead store and good hooked. The compliments were always similar to "That necklace matches the exact colors in your shirt - how did you find that?" and then I'd say I made it.

These days, when I tell people I sell jewelry, they ask me what line. What line is it? It's my own line. Jen's line. Jens jewelry can be your jewelry.

Today, I received a custom order to match a dress that a lady is wearing to her high school reunion. It has black, cream, gray and a deep red color and I'm excited to take on the challenge. I am going to make some prototypes of earrings from which she can choose and then we'll venture into the necklace depending on what she likes. She is tall and likes the dangly type of earrings.
I find most people like a post earring with a design that doesn't dangle very long at all.
Recently, I have added several pair of earrings to my line that follow along with that desire. I personally like to design long dangles but if it's not a practical length for most people and they only go with that style when they have a special occasion, then it only makes sense to carry both styles, right?

Well, that's about it for today. Hopefully I can post every day!

No comments: